View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2007, 8:36 PM
Kevin Folds Five

I'm a snowboarder. I started in the late 80's when snowboarders were considered "malicious criminals" to most. I learned to board from a very old school skater who instead of giving me tips; literally strapped me onto a board; rapped my knuckles and pushed me down the mountain while laughing and calling me a big "pu$$y". Punk rock, snowboarding in the winter, skateboarding in the summer. It was the culture back then! We were different, that's for sure...

That's how things were done back then! I used to frequent the parks in Edmonton; made tons of trips to Lake Louise for their board park too... I can remember the day it opened, we all couldn't believe how cool it was that a major ski resort was accomodating to boarders. When ski resorts starting using "ski and ride with care" for their warning tags, we knew that snowboarding had gone mainstream (for the better)

Now I just ride because I love it. I'm too old for tricks... I do love to scream down off limits areas or find myself deep powder; but mostly I've tamed down and just ride for the view; haha.

I tried skiiing once but I hated it.. I do have some really excellent skiiers in my family (half of which live in Jasper); and I admire their skills/talent. Skiiing, IMO is hard.