View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

For example, in my years living in DC, Baltimore felt like a completely different city. I could care less if they are 40 miles apart, I still have a hard time viewing them as a combined metro. Silicon Valley and SF, however, feel like they are far more connected.

Anyhow, CSA is kind of silly to me. It just seems like smaller cities’ way to feel like they are huge or something.
I can understand living in DC and Baltimore feeling like a completely different city. Because it IS a completely different city.

But the two cities are completely connected. All the many suburbs between them completely blend together. But when living in DC, if you didn't spend much time in the PG or Howard or AA county DC/Baltimore suburbs, you wouldn't really feel like they are that connected. But they totally are.

Totally silly. And I'd say that CSA is also a way for really big cities to attempt to feel even bigger... case in point being Allentown metro area added to NYC in 2013, even though parts of that metro are like 130 miles away from NYC and through mountains and farms. Might as well just say that all of eastern PA is now part of NYC. I think NYC just wants to maintain its "lead" over the LA CSA