View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
As for the Howell Mill comment, there's BRT coming to Northside Drive (increased bus services already underway), Crosstown Midtown streetcar (Luckie St. & North Ave.) submitting to FTA in early 2017, and this density in West Midtown is exactly what Atlanta needs in order to properly expand transit services. You need a dense enough ridership base to create a level of impact. The area is a destination, not just a thoroughfare. These developments are supporting the neighborhood vision.
So you consider adding 600+ parking spaces (meaning 600+ cars naturally) into a building a proper expansion of transit services? To me this is just the other side of the Fuqua Kroger 17th Northside coin. At least at the Kroger site the parking lots can be redeveloped in the near future. At Star Metals (and other deck-integrated structures going up everywhere) the decks are here to stay.

Actually double that car amount; I think I misinterpreted. From a recent article:

"Star Metals Residences is the multi-family residential component with 409 rental units, a rooftop club room and rooftop amenity deck, theater, Bocce ball court, Yoga studio, poolside movies at night, community garden and greenhouse where residents can gather. The building would also include 16,500 square feet of ground-floor retail. The 14-story Star Metals Offices would offer approximately 185,000 square feet of Class A office space, 30,000 square feet street-level retail with 22’ ceilings, ground-floor restaurants, tenant amenities, collaboration work spaces and structured parking providing an above market parking ratio of 3.5 spaces per 1,000 square feet." https://whatnowatlanta.com/update-pa...t-on-westside/

So there are two buildings. The office portion to contain 750 parking spaces and the apartment - about 600? Is the formula 1.5 spaces per unit? So 1350 spaces or thereabouts?

And everyone thinks this is 'smart' urban planning and just what the Westside needs to help transit in the area. What is everyone smoking around here?