View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Compared to who?
Most other places in the world actually. Roads in the Rockies are newer and built to higher standards than roads in the Laurentians and especially Europe, which also have significant truck traffic. Driving through Kananaskis, Banff, and Kootenay was a breeze when I was there.

In the Prairies roads are cheap to build. Almost all the major highways are four lanes (except in BC obviously), and all the cities are connected. Twinning Hwy 69 is costing 5 times as much per km as twinning Hwy 1 in Saskatchewan. It doesn't help that the MTO has needlessly high standards up north, but that's another debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
With heavy truck and other traffic on these roads? You better believe it is! That is, unless you enjoy spending a half-hour behind 5 semi's, 6 RV, and 10 SUV's at a speed of 85 km/h.
That happens all the time here. With more hills and curves to make passing even harder. And in Europe it's a whole different experience altogether. I know, I keep bringing up Europe, but driving there is a real eye opener. We have it easy. Of course, they do have more options like trains that we're sorely lacking...