View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2011, 8:48 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
I think by drawing those boundaries would cause an explosion in growth for Airdrie, Okotoks et al. I think the goal should be such that suburban development would occur in a more intelligent and sustainable form with more mixed use areas, higher street connectivity, with access to TOD, and greater densities near TOD. The City of Calgary has the option to stop approving the kinds of development that are not sustainable. For example, the City of Calgary recently put the brakes on the Winsport development for not having residential or office uses within the project. First off, I think it's important that the City communicates it's intentions about the kinds of development it wants, second I think it's important that it is discerning about the kinds of developments that gets approved. I think this is a better strategy than have an urban growth boundary.

I don't like the idea of precluding that new suburbs could not be built to a higher level of sustainability than older communities.
Except, they have done this in other cities with success and it did not result in the outlying cities stealing all of the growth. People are acting like the world is ending in 10 years and that we dont have to worry about farmland......or anything for that matter.