View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 7:12 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEinEDMONTON View Post
The idea is to create new shipping routes with the opening of the Port at Prince Rupert. If there was no way of getting the goods from the Port to the rest of North America then what would be the point of opening the port? The rail system is already in place with CN. And golly gosh, I guess we should consider closing down Vancouver's and Seattle's ports because of those damn mountains being in the way. Getting way to expensive to ship through those darn mountains...what a laugh!!! I think it is you who has no idea about what is about to become in terms of shipping in North America. Edmonton is underutilzed as a shipping hub as is the Alaska to Mexico corridor. The creation of new routes to handle the expected increase in traffic is key.

But, you know, everything must flow through to Winnipeg...lol

Edmonton will more than likely service Prince Rupert and more traffic from Vancouver as these ports are predicting huge increases in container traffic and Winnipeg will serve Churchill. I am not sure why you have such a problem with that but...
I never said too expnsive .. just much more expensive than Churchill. Its also not only the high cost of transporting over the mountains .. its also the distance to Asian markets. Churchill is much closer to Asia than Prince Rupert or Vancouver. But if you are a manufacturer in Chicago .. you have the choice between a closer port with shorter shipping distance to Asia or taking the goods across the continient to ship the goods over a longer route by sea and cost you a week longer in shipping costs, the business benefit would play to the shorter route.

But as I said Edmonton will become a good export container port for Prince Rupert.

An Inland Port is a great deal more than just a container management space.

Winnipeg will become a major hub for the continient .. both import and export. Feeding goods to and from major Canadian and US markets .. and linking them to Asia and Europe.