View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 21, 2008, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
While I did show Winnipeg's capacity to handle massive levels of goods and link them to the continent .. I wouldn't be fair if I didn't do the same for Edmonton and Regina, since they think they are in the running.

.. there is no CPR Yard in Edmonton to my knowledge.
Canada's new Government announces project in Edmonton for the Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative

EDMONTON, May 24 /CNW Telbec/ - The Honourable Rona Ambrose, Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs and Minister of Western Economic Diversification, on behalf of the Honourable David Emerson, Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Pacific Gateway and the Vancouver-Whistler Olympics, today announced $75 million in federal funding for a strategic infrastructure project in Edmonton under the Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor Initiative (APGCI). The Province of Alberta submitted the project for federal funding and the Honourable Luke Ouellette, Minister of Infrastructure and Transportation
of Alberta, will oversee its completion.

"This project will help ensure that Alberta may reap the benefits of
international trade that will result from the Asia-Pacific Gateway and
Corridor Initiative," said Minister Ambrose. "Canada's New Government
continues to make tremendous progress on the Initiative, including here in
Alberta where this project will benefit the province's residents and economy."

"Today's investment will contribute significantly to Canada's
competitiveness in the rapidly changing world of global commerce, as well as benefit the communities by upgrading local infrastructure," said Minister
Emerson. "We are committed to establishing the Gateway as the link between North America and Asia, and will continue to work with the provinces and stakeholders to make it happen."

The local community will benefit from this project, which will improve
traffic flow, create jobs and improve the quality of life of local residents.
Funding will be used in Edmonton for the construction of a new interchange on Highway 2 and 41 Avenue, including a road/rail grade separation of the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) tracks east of Highway 2, and improvements on arterial roads in the area. It will facilitate the relocation of the CPR intermodal freight terminal from a residential area in Edmonton to a new site at the southern limit of the city. It will also improve access to and from the new CPR intermodal facility, alleviate congestion and increase business opportunities for northern Alberta.

"The new interchange will improve the movement of goods between rail and transport vehicles, providing an efficient link from Alberta to the
Asia-Pacific markets," said Minister Ouellette. "The remaining funding for the project will be cost shared between the province and the City of Edmonton."

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I can't even imagine either of those two cities imagining they are even in the running to become a major Inland Port.
You would be the only one...