View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I don't see these Edmonton advantages, particularly the alleged advantages relating to the distance of the airport from the city and the availability of land. Winnipeg's airport can operate 24 hours and the inland port would have to be spectacularly successful before land availability became a problem. As for distance, at least as the crow flies Winnipeg is far closer to most U.S. destinations than Edmonton is. Even if we restrict ourselves to the western half of the U.S., Winnipeg is 400 km closer to Denver and 800 km closer to Houston. Edmonton is 250 km closer to L.A.
Edmonton is the first major city on the rail routes from the Port of Prince Rupert. I do not think you can minimize that fact. Add the 1,200 kilometers it takes to ship anything from Edmonton to Winnipeg makes any destination west of Winnipeg logistically farther if you have to ship to Winnipeg first and then back to western markets. There is no advantage for Winnipeg's location over Edmonton as far as eastern cities go because goods would pass through both cities on their way to eastern US markets so unpacking rail cars in Edmonton and redistibuting the goods or unpacking them in Winnipeg probably won't make a big difference. This is only my opinion on goods coming from the Port of Prince Rupert. I still think both cities will develop inland ports but each will serve different ports (Edmonton - Prince Rupert and Vancouver. Winnipeg - Churchill) and different markets (Edmonton - Asia, Winnipeg - Europe).