View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm surprised the city is losing folks. Side effect of its growth perhaps (becoming evermore expensive so folks bounce). Fulop should capitalize on affordable housing.
When I lived in The Heights, there was a HUGE immigrant population with large families as evidenced with the amount of kids playing in the streets. It was affordable. I think affordability is slipping away, and that's displacing the immigrant families with more wealthy Brooklynites, for example. As much development that's happening in Jersey City, it's still not enough to keep up with demand, to the determinant of affordable. The R-1 zoning district should allow 3 or 4 family homes. That would provide 200 to 300 percent increase in density. Right now there is a reduction in density when older homes are torn down and replaced with one-family or two-family boxes.

The luxury high-rises are only a small part of the solution, new, higher density housing has to happen in the R-1 neighborhoods that make up much of the city if housing affordability will be addressed.