View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 12:18 AM
Fourth and Main

News released last week provided more updates.

Cost: $258 million
Length: 8.6 miles

Would include a major renovation of the Downtown Transportation Center.

They are working to finalize the streetcar plans now to seek funding. A fee on cars and a half cent sales tax are among the ways to pay for it. The streetcars would connect the major colleges/universities to downtown; connect all of the tourist attractions to downtown and connect the downtown research park to the medical center (the metro area's two largest employment centers). The streetcars would run through several old streetcar neighborhoods, connecting them to arts, entertainment and employment centers.

I did find a map, but the map only had the major streets and included every proposed transit line and every new proposed bus shelter, with proposed new bus shelter symbols covering part of the streetcar line's route through downtown on the map. It does show enough to confirm the first route has expanded to include Winston-Salem State University. From the map, I'm guessing the streetcar system will have three phases, with Bowman Gray University School of Medicine to Downtown/PTRP Research Park to Winston-Salem State University as the first line.