View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The angst was mainly focused concentrated on Vietnam and civil rights where as today, people are divided on everything. Today's it's sneakers, razors and Taylor Swift. We just haven't had our Kent State and/or '68 Chicago DNC moment...yet. Charlottesville was a primer.
In the next decade, the '70s, psychologists were telling us that all the little children of America were going to grow up utterly fearful of nuclear annihilation. Compare that to global warming.

Actually, this article says it was the kids of several decades:

Quote:
Fear of nuclear annihilation scarred children growing up in the Cold War, studies later showed
Aug 29, 2017 · 7 min read

“I remember going to bed one night when I was 11, seriously afraid I would not be alive in the morning,” remembers writer David Ropeik. The date was unmistakable. It was the Cuban Missile Crisis, in October 1962.

Fear of total human annihilation is a tough feeling to live with every day. For children growing up in the Cold War, mutually assured nuclear destruction literally haunted their dreams. Many of them wrote letters to the president, begging Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, and their successors not to push the button. Others just prayed the bomb would kill them instantly, preferring swift death to years of sickness and grief . . . .
https://timeline.com/nuclear-war-chi...y-d1ff491b5fe0

While I can't honestly say I feel "scarred", I do remember watching TV about the Cuban Missile Crisis with the adults at my grandmother's apartment one day while it was happening and I also remember one day asking my father what we would do if the Russians dropped a bomb on Washington (we lived about 7 miles outside DC). He said (really), "Go outside and watch."

Video Link

I might also suggest to today's generations: Don't take yourselves so seriously. A little irony can be effective.