View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 3:47 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccanning View Post
i was just thinking that, if st. john's really is expecting a prosperous future then maybe now we have an opportunity to develop a look for the city that's unique as well as economically functional. that's all. it would be nice to see the city work with developers in a cooperative manner to come up with a comprehensive plan for the city.
I completely agree. St. John's has a wonderful vibe and they should preserve that. Right now I don't see much of a comprehensive plan outside of height restrictions for what seems like 100% of the core area. They've done nothing for the residents with respect to making Harbour Drive a great place to be or increasing park and green space for the core. Granted, they've been burned by a rather large development that is in my opinion a Berlin Wall to the Harbour (Atlantic Place). Unfortunately, when there's no reason to walk down to the Harbour than you need to be able to enjoy it from a distance. Too bad there's no foresight in developing a plan that can deal with this.

Any development taller than about five stories on the Fortis site is going to block the harbour view from the church area. In my mind, this is potentially a view worth saving. I'd have to go walk around again and get a feel for the views available.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss