View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 6, 2010, 7:16 PM

"The debate over a controversial proposal by a St. John's-based company came to a fiery end at a city council meeting Monday night.

Last week, Fortis Properties Corporation announced it would be withdrawing its multi-million dollar building proposal, which included a 15-storey office tower along the city's waterfront. While many on council agreed it would have been good for the city, Councillor Wally Collins said in the end they'd still lose.

"We're voting on a full row of 15 stories right up the water front and, I mean, I don't want to see it. It's great for the tax base, but I don't want to see it and I can't see me voting for it," Collins said.

Several councillors said the deal had been dead for weeks, saying members of the public–and council–killed any chance Fortis may have had at getting the building off the ground.

"Even before Fortis sent this application to council, they were literally crucified by members of the general public, and even some members of council," said Coun. Bruce Tilley at last night's meeting.

The $75-million proposal also included a renovation of Fortis's existing property on Water Street, 382 new parking spaces, additional retail space, an outdoor plaza and a pedestrian walk-way along the harbourfront.

Councillor Tom Hann said shutting the door to Fortis could mean losing out on future investments.

"Some of us were labeled gutless wonders, and spineless. So in the present atmosphere, why would anyone want to come here and be part of the city," said Hann.

"We slammed the door, your worship. We slammed the door in their face."

A disappointed Mayor Dennis O'Keefe agreed, saying the company had voiced similar concerns to him.

"They felt that they weren't getting a fair shake," said O'Keefe. "What they heard the loudest was the naysaying and the branding of being arrogant."

Council's infighting a factor

Last week, Fortis President Nora Duke told CBC News that council's response was part of the reason why they decided to rescind their proposal.

"In terms of looking at council and the decision-making process, we felt the application would not be successful, and so we just decided it was probably time to move on and to look to other opportunities," said Duke.

The company's president said based on reaction from both the public and council, they decided to explore other options for their property at the corner of Water and Prescott streets.

However, at last night's meeting, Councillor Debbie Hanlon said a formal proposal was never officially submitted to council: a draft of the proposed building plan was all they received in January, and that could have been negotiated.

"We didn't close the door on Fortis," said Hanlon. "I mean some of you have said we did but we didn't. They put a proposal in and it never came to us. They were the ones that stopped negotiations with us."

Fiery public reaction

At a public meeting in February, more than 300 people showed up at a forum to voice their concerns about the downtown's future. The proposed 15-storey building would have exceeded the city's current four-storey height restriction and would have required special permission from council to proceed.

"I don't understand why they should show disregard and contempt for their own regulations by entertaining proposals that don't meet them," activist and comedian Greg Malone said at the public meeting.

Many residents felt the proposal was a slap in the face: that it would detract from the city's heritage and overwhelm the skyline.

"What gives Fortis the right to take away the sunrise from me, in my home," asked Alex MacDonald, who lives on Gower Street, just north of the Fortis property.

The Fortis building, which was formerly named the Royal trust Building, is more than forty years old and was the first office tower built in St. John's. In January, deputy mayor Shannie Duff told CBC news that Fortis's plan for the building wasn't a step in the right direction.

"I find it shocking and it's very disappointing because I think Fortis which is a major, well-resourced company had an opportunity to do something really positive," said Duff.

Last week, Fortis said their company has taken stock of the reaction and have decided to instead retrofit their existing building."

source:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...is-debate.html