View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 19, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post

But paradoxically, those who come from more typical inner city row house neighborhoods probably hold strongest to the suburban car-oriented ideal. Many (I'd say a large majority) of people from old school inner city neighborhoods, like generations before them, ultimately pine for greener pastures, lawns, driveways, peace and quiet of the 'burbs. Having a car (especially having a free City car), even if you live near the el, subway, trolley, or bus, is a slice of aspirational proto-suburban luxury not to be surrendered lightly.
Well Put. My late grandfather was from an old rowhouse neighborhood and moved the family to the Northeast in the late 1950’s. When he was getting pretty old and barely able to drive, he would still take his car to pick up the paper even though the store was literally at the end of the block and saved him no physical effort (getting in and out of the car was tough for him). At the suggestion that it would be safer and easier for him to walk, he said something along the lines of “I worked my whole life so I wouldn’t need to walk anywhere.” For the younger generations including myself, being able to walk to amenities is now considered the luxury.