View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I just checked your link, and that does look a little bizarre. I imagine it must be hard for motorists turning from 53 Ave NW to Terwilliger southbound or vise versa, via the Whitemud. Or is that even possible?
Nope.

However, the redesigned interchange will have directional ramps that exit/merge right, a gentler curve for the Whitemud through the middle, all ramps with 80 km/hr design speeds, and because of the footprint of the corridor, they managed to do all this without needing to build a 3-level interchange (crossings offset from one another). The plan is currently shelved for now because of budget constraints. This SHOULD include a basket-weave sort of access for 53 ave with both Whitemud and Terwilligar.

Quote:
When I was in Edmonton, I only used that intersection twice, as I was turning Eastbound onto the Whitemud, so it wasn't much of a problem.
The worst part of this design is that during rush hour, traffic merging onto the Whitemud Eastbound from 149 street (coming from downtown), and heading to the SW suburbs are forced to cross 3 lanes of traffic in the space of 2.5 kms to exit at Terwilligar. Enough traffic making this movement all but guarantees that the Whitemud slows to a crawl over the river.

Quote:
From the looks of the Terwilliger layout, it looks like the city is eventually planning to make the road a limited access highway right to Anthony Henday.
Yes, but that is long-term. The city recognized that whenever they overhaul the Terwilligar interchange, they will have to build an interchange at 40 Ave at the same time as well (due to proximity). It'll be expensive, that's for sure. It troubles me that they are allowing development so close to southern portions of Terwilligar (like around 23rd Ave), but you'd think people would figure it out that this will be a future freeway.

Anyways, I'd rather talk about Bishop Grandin plans, and I'm sure you guys would too...