View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 5:45 AM

I really and truly believe the Assiniboine Park Zoo has to raise entrance fees. I'm not trying to shut out the poor, but if all we are trying to do is cater to the lowest common economic denominator, then we will get nowhere. It doesn't have to be an atrocious rise, but a modest increase could, should and would do wonders for the entire property. I doubt the masses take in the zoo itself more than a handful of times a year. I'm guessing 4-5 trips per annum would be considered a frequent goer. Under the assumption that this is true, a modest increase in gate fare wouldn't reflect hard on the people who go. That is to say that people will continue to go even with a price increase of X percent (say 50% for example) because going to the zoo is something people do because it is an outing and not because it is cheap.

I recognize there are many ways one could steer this argument, but if we are fundamentally looking to readically transform the Assinboine Park and Zoo property, then I think this would be an appropriate way to put dollars in the bucket.

I certainly hope the project moves forward with no scale backs.