View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Nerv: When was it announced the expansion is being cut back? I never heard about this. I thought it was going to be 6 lanes eachway at all times from Del Mar to Oceanside and 7 lanes at some points. It seems like pretty big news that now it will only be 1 extra lane expansion. Can you provide links please. Look at the San Elijo lagoon bridge at Manchester ave in Cardiff it is wide as hell on both sides! How can that possibly be for just 1 extra lane each way? That bridge widening looks like it could easily accommodate 3 lanes on each side. Anyone else notice this?

Construction Update: Anyone see that crappy old appartment building cleared next to the Symphony Towers Marriot in 7th/A ? Looks like that 22 floor tower that was approved almost 4 years ago could be starting.

https://www.californiaeminentdomainr...ded-community/

https://www.californiaeminentdomainr...ded-community/

If you click on the above you can see some of the original options discussed a decade ago. Anyone living in costal San Diego is aware of the value of the land and homes surrounding the 5 as well as the impact of trying to “insert” a mega lane freeway in completely built up cities. The support by citizens wasn’t there a decade ago and is probably far less today. I’ve been around for a number of those meetings with angry citizens. I think the response in north county for freeway and highway expansions is a thumbs down and mass transit is still neutral since all we really have is the coaster and sprinter which seem to have grown on the locals here to some degree.

There’s a lot of money in the north county that can put politicians in the crosshairs if someone more powerful doesn’t want something. Lol
I’ve seen the results of that firsthand too.

They are currently mostly just removing the center of the i5 to add those 2 extra carpool lanes so a lot of area isn’t really impacted other than noise up to Palomar airport road.

They fight hard over everything down here. Even putting up sound walls and what they can look like is open to hard debates.