View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
I'm saying that most of the vagrants I have seen in SF were white. This isn't a sociological endeavor. That's just what I recall having seen.

This 2013 study puts the proportion of African American homeless at 24%.

http://sfgov.org/lhcb/sites/sfgov.or...less_Count.pdf
For the record, I'm not disputing what you have seen however acknowledging there is most likely some spatial aspect around dispersion of homelessness. I have too encountered many white homeless people around the embarcadero and the piers, however once you head west the change is dramatic and the numbers are nearly exponential of homeless in total.

Back on track but maintaining the example you have provided, I think seeing a homeless guy begging for change up in North Beach is one thing. However seeing the "vagrant" issues as you say in areas such as south of market (before anyone jumps down my throat south of Market between Van Ness ave, Mission and the start to Bayshore freeway is not a SoMA district.).

I went there to see the area my father grew up in, most vivid memory of that is empty parking lots where flats use to be full of people on various narcotics swinging poles and trash cans around.

I think most people are more generally able to accept the former rather than the later.