View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Stupid stupid thing to do on Pallister's part. Who cares that he has a home in Costa Rica? Just be honest.

The issue I guess is that he's paid to do a job and spend too much time on vacation. And that's a fair point. Then again Sammy never worked a full week in his life and it was a running joke among media covering city hall but I dont recall it ever becoming a story. I guess because his other residence was in teh US.

This sounds like someone thought they could confuse the public between fat cats hiding money in Panama and Pallister owning property in Costa Rica
I wonder if Pallister was reluctant to admit anything Costa Rica related precisely because of the Sam Katz-Scottsdale thing? Katz's prolonged absences left a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouths. I guess Pallister didn't want to get tagged that way too.

To some extent I can understand why people react the way they do. I mean, I get that Katz and Pallister are successful rich guys, but if you want to lead Winnipeg or Manitoba shouldn't you like the place enough to not live as much as you can at your residence in some other place? The same applied to Pat Martin when he was MP.

The whole thing is just dumb. "Yeah, I'll be your MP/mayor/premier, just as long as I can spend as little time in Winnipeg/Manitoba as possible and keep living in Salt Spring Island/Scottsdale/Costa Rica as much as I can"

Not really the greatest vote of confidence from our elected leaders. If Pallister wants to live in Costa Rica so badly, why doesn't he hand over the leadership reins to someone in the PC caucus who can stomach living in Manitoba 12 months of the year and just go to his warm weather residence full time?