View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPolitico View Post
I'm currently perusing the Governor's proposed FY2021 budget and found that he has proposed appropriating $34 million in ongoing revenue to begin the process of double tracking Frontrunner! We'll have to see how the Legislature responds but Herbert is proposing that UTA put together a strategic plan for double-tracking the entire system by July of next year.
More information:

https://www.ksl.com/article/46702054...udget-proposal

Quote:
FrontRunner double-tracking

In all, Herbert wants $1.8 billion to go toward Utah's transportation systems. However, a $34 million request for ongoing funds to help Utah Transit Authority work on double-tracking its FrontRunner lines might be the most notable transportation ask.

Double-tracking, or two rail lines, allows trains to move up and down the line without having to stop to allow a train in the other direction to pass by. The governor’s office says some “strategically placed” tracking might allow for increased-capacity express trains that could depart every 15 minutes instead of every 30 minutes. That, in turn, could help increase efficiency and make the system more convenient for commuters.
There is also some additional money that is set aside as part of the air quality section:

Quote:
Herbert is once again seeking $100 million toward air quality improvements, which include transit and electric vehicle infrastructure. The request is specifically $66 million in one-time and $34 million in ongoing funds.
It is possible that some of these funds could be used to enhance the FrontRunner Double Track or be set aside for use on the Trax Blue Line extension to Utah County.

Because it is infrastructure rather than service, it cannot be used for bus routes but would be able to be used for BRT, Trax, Streetcar, and FrontRunner enhancements.

I do think that we will probably see around $100 Million being spent on FrontRunner double tracking this session. As they could use 1 time money, it wouldn't impact the overall budget and it would show good faith in improving transit.

While I was hoping to see additional call outs for free transit, I think that the State is using 2020 as the guinea pig so to speak to test how well the few free transit days do this year.

I do also expect that we may see something from Salt Lake City with regards to free or severely reduced transit for City residents or within the City boundaries.

I can't wait to see what bills come up this year for Transit.

One final note, there is still ongoing discussions about fully merging UTA into UDoT. This would fully allow UDoT more latitude in spending money to improve transit along the Wasatch Front.