View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 6, 2010, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
First of all its massing is excellent. Its design is completely unique. Its completely dripping in details. Its made of a beautiful material. I could just keep listing things...

I don't see what's wrong with a building standing out on its own. Just look at the Sears Tower and Hancock Buildings when they were first built, there were 5 or more times taller than anything around them. There is nothing wrong with that especially in Modernism. The building itself is supposed to be a piece of sculpture, not some background infill building. Why does everything have to be muted and subdued? What is wrong with just raw power in a huge tower that dominates the suburbia around it.
The Sciences Library at Brown University in Providence has a similar design but uses concrete rather than cor-ten. Both are hideous. The design is not special nor unique, the only redeeming fact about the KoC building IMO is the quality materials you mention.

As someone already mentioned, the building is downtown. I don't want to say there's nothing wrong with a building standing out, but when it's scale is inappropriate for the neighborhood, it's not a good thing. What I don't understand is why everyone loves it so much.