View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i don't see it.

with the excpetions of alpha++ status cities NYC/LA, and odd-ball legacy stuff like cubs/sox, the multi-team metros seam much more oriented to the polycentric places, where different teams carve out different sub-regions for themselves. hell, even in NYC and LA, some of the teams are divided among geographic sub-regions, like the devils in jersey, the rangers in the city, and the islanders on long island (i know they currently play in barclays, but they're moving back out to the burbs soon enough) or LA with the dogers and kings being an LA thing while the Angels and ducks are more of an OC thing.

i feel that chicago is too centralized for a 2nd team in any of the major sports. what sub-region would a 2nd team carve out for itself? all 6 of chicago's major league teams play in stadiums within 5 miles of downtown chicago. there are no other "centers" in chicagoland that could really support major league sports. the Fire tried the suburban stadium thing and failed miserably. they eventually came limping back to soldier field after 13 unlucky years lost in the suburban wilderness.

chicagoland really is the ultimate "put all of your eggs in one basket" metro area in the nation.
You're probably right that a second NBA has about a .001% chance of coming to Chicago, but of the four major sports I'd say it's the most likely (i.e. compared to 0% for NFL or MLB and .0001% for NHL).

I'm basing it anecdotally on conversations I've had throughout Chicagoland and the dwindling attendance (after years of league-leading attendance despite shitty play). People don't give a shit about the Bulls anymore, and this is a basketball city. With the right placement of a new stadium, some stellar marketing, and some luck in the draft they could (theoretically) become the Sox/Mets/Clippers/Jets to the Chicago Bulls.

And yea, D-Rose is one of hte worst sports stories this city has ever seen. He was something special

The only place to be newly minted as a two-franchise city in any sport in the last 50-odd years is Los Angeles when the Rams (basically a legacy team for LA, despite moving) were joined by the Los Angeles (née San Diego) Chargers. (Not counting the Nets move from Jersey to Brooklyn, that's basically just a new stadium for the same team.)

Los Angeles is a giant market, both in population and reach, yet the Chargers are laughably unpopular in the city and there are already whispers that they will need to be moved again, although San Diego absolutely despises the owners now so they sorta screwed themselves out of a move back to their home city.

If LA can't handle a second franchise in the nation's most popular sport, I don't see how any city can add another franchise.