View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
During the 1980's, there were various attempts to put a MLB team in the NJ Meadowlands. Trump, during his USFL days, claimed he wanted to buy a team and move it to NJ.

Most of NJ is Yankee territory, but I actually don't think it's an insane idea. It would likely be a better market than the bottom dozen or so MLB teams. NJ has 9 million people and is among the wealthiest states, and it's a huge pain to cross the Hudson for a game.
9 Million people but in a pretty decentralized state. NJ to me makes a ton of sense for the NFL if the Giants weren't already located in the Meadowlands. You look at a density map and stick a stadium right in between those three large population clusters, that's a massive and wealthy catchment area to get people out to a game 8 times a year.

Baseball attendance is a long and arduous grind though. There can be a lot of weekday afternoon games were people likely aren't commuting from Trenton or Brick Township to Newark. I'm guessing you're looking at a regional population closer to 5-6 million if you stick the stadium in Newark? Still a solid prospective fanbase, but that's ignoring the tv viewership effects that the Yankees would have in the North and the Phillies in the South.