View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Maybe y'all's interpretation of that is "laughable." Mine is different: the Domain actually is on the edge of Austin's urban core and, over time, will be further integrated with that core as a distinct node of urbanity.

In rebuttal to your point about Stone Oak:

Stone Oak is ~17 miles from downtown driving down 281, with a substantial number of non-grid extremely low-density neighborhoods between the two locations.

The Domain is ~11 miles from downtown driving down MoPac, with a grid or semi-grid the entire way and multiple intensely/densely developed or developing neighborhoods and corridors between the two locations: Capitol Complex, West Campus, Midtown/Triangle, Highland, Burnet Rd. and N. Lamar Blvd.

A better comparison would be to say that the Domain is akin to the Medical Center, on the edge of the pre-1970s era street grid before suburban street patterns began to take hold, which allows it to integrate into a redeveloped urban fabric if/when the development pressure exists. San Antonio's development pressure isn't exerting itself in that direction from downtown, and is instead currently focused more singularly on downtown and midtown revitalization and redevelopment with a focus toward its favored quarter (Alamo Heights).

I don't understand why some San Antonians are so adamant about getting a soccer team just to stick it to Austin. We already have a major league sports team here, let Austin have theirs. And don't tell me that Austin is getting it in a backhanded way by stealing it from Columbus and so they don't deserve it when the Spurs were stolen from Dallas. Besides, this whole "city v. city" stuff is beyond grating. I tend to think of the region as a single unit of ~5 million people anchored by two major cities, just like Dallas and Fort Worth. Dallas doesn't have all of the sports teams for their region, and neither should San Antonio. Don't be bitter. Be happy that Austin is getting an MLS team for San Antonians to enjoy. Austinites were never bitter that San Antonio got an NBA team, as evidenced by the fact that the Austin market is dominated by the Spurs and Spurs fans. The development league team is even in Austin. Ergo, Austin getting an MLS team will be nothing but good for San Antonio in the long-run.

Ah jeez, we are about to get a reprimand from SKW, but I must say, if you think 11 miles from DT is urban core in Austin, you are not correct. The 281 corridor North of DT San Antonio is the most congested here for a reason, there is a continuous grid of residential/commercial development along that corridor. 35 North of DT is getting close, and don't even get me started on the traffic between Huebner and points South on I10. Your comment about "grids" might work if you're talking about South of DT, but not North. By your logic, I could claim that Schertz/Cibolo is part of San Antonio's "urban core" because of the density between DT and 3009.

Fact is, the Domain is North of Research Blvd, which is not close to Austin's "urban core". If Austin is smart, they'll keep it that way.

And I'm not a soccer fan, so I don't care if SA gets MLS or Austin does. I won't be attending anyway. And would you say the LA Dodgers are not LA's team because they started in Brooklyn? I wouldn't say the Ohio team isn't Austin's for the same reason. Teams move. If the community accepts them, then it is what it is. Good luck to the Austin MLS team.

Last edited by Restless 1; Jun 1, 2018 at 2:52 AM.