View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2007, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Jam,
You're absolutly right. Corporate purchasing power is why owners consider San Antonio. With AT&T, USAA and Valero to name a few, those are some significant heavyweights. Throw in a little Red McCombs with Peter Holt (who privatley has expressed intrest in being a potential minority owner), and you have a very promising opportunity. Oh yeah, and football is also KING in Texas.
That is the problem; naming a few. I think the Alamodome only has 16-32 suites. However, most NFL teams have significantly more suites available (about 100 for newer stadiums). So when you start naming corporate support you need to be able to fill in those kinds of numbers. Obviously the dome falls short here, but the corporate environment is also tight.

You could add HEB, Tesoro, The Capital Group, Clear Channel, Toyota, Frost, IBC, Rackspace... It's starting to get tight. I'm sure there are a few more banking, drug, law related companies. US Global Investors made a bunch this past year, but NFL interest is far from a sure thing just because of the presence of at&t.

Also, to me, I didn't think SA's flirtation with the NFL last year showed a fierce interest in the game. They really should have sold out the 3 games as soon as they went on sale. That really shows something about disposable income for the city. An NFL ticket is expensive and just because football is king, it doesn't mean it sells tickets. They had to give some 10,000 tickets away before the last game on Christmas Eve to get the sellout. Not the strongest showing of support.

In the past the NFL said the roadblock for SA was the stadium, but it was really much more. That resulted in an empty stadium. Sure, it has been put to other use. People have enjoyed college basketball and football, and who could forget the memorial day miracle? But it has not been used for what is was built for and is already likely not suitable for the game today.

Hopefully the leagues willl give the city an honest assesment so they can move on to other things that will help to improve quality of life. When the environment of the city is improved it can start to draw corporate interest and everything else after that will fall into place.