View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 22, 2018, 6:55 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post

A roundabout that should have been an interchange...

At least it’s better than a traffic-light intersection.

On another note, does anyone think Highway 2 between Peace River and Grande Prairie should be renumbered? Having 2 go north then south again is confusing.
On the first part, I do agree that interchange should've been built instead of a traffic circle at 116 St. Trouble is, not everybody, esp. those up north of Edmonton are that familiar with traffic circles like they should be. Also, when that bypass gets completed, there'll be a lot more in the way of large vehicles such as tractor trailers going on that bypass. I can't imagine driving through roundabouts would be terribly easy in such large vehicles. The current NW bypass, originally built during the late 1960s, isn't really functioning as a true bypass anymore. This is especially due to GP's growth over the last few decades, and also a number of traffic lights.

As for Highway 2, I'm not sure renumbering would be a good idea, IMHO. Why? It's partly for historical reasons. Hwy 2 was the first paved highway built between Edmonton and the Peace Country/GP. The stretch of Hwy 43 between Whitecourt and Valleyview and probably also GP wasn't even paved until the early 1950s.