View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Wow, I'm really glad to see that density in the JSQ developments. I'm glad they're going dense from the beginning of the redevelopment in that area, it'll make the critical mass for the neighborhood tipping in a positive direction arrive faster.

I hate to be a negative Nancy by bringing this up, but here it goes...

I'm very concerned about PATH. I know they're doing some work to add additional capacity, but the amount of people using the three Jersey City stations is getting very, very high and I don't think the improvements will do much, considering the amount of people using the system will continue to grow. We can safely assume that 90% of the renters in these new projects will be using the PATH to commute every day. Eventually, if it's not fixed, the PATH will hold Jersey City back from future development and improvement because of transport in and out of the city being completely unsustainable and, frankly, a nightmare during rush hour.
Probably about 50 percent of the people that previously used PATH to go to work in Manhattan are now permanently work from home. The Pandemic has been a gamechanger in advancing companies to allow some employees to telecommute 100 percent of the time.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=218200&page=8

Last month, about 20,000 people used PATH, down from the usual 300,000. We're not heading back to 300,000 for at least a decade and even then it will not be as packed as it was due to a number of simple improvements currently underway.

https://www.panynj.gov/path/en/modernizing-path.html

Even when PATH does return to pre-pandemic levels, the conversion to 10-car trains will add 40 percent capacity along with modern signals allowing trains to run closer together will be another boost in capacity.

The PATH will probably have to rise in excess of 400,000+ riders per day before it reaches the new capacity limits with the current improvements underway, and then the discussion shifts on how to create new train lines.

If we're waiting around for the federal government to fund capacity improvements before allowing new development, we'll be waiting a very long time. Unfortunately the country's investment priorities are reactive, not proactive. PATH had to reach crisis levels with the overcrowding before the funding for service improvements were allowed. The service improvements would have never happened had it not been for overcrowding. In other words, there is no chicken or the egg when it comes to transit planning. The density must come first.