View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
kalabaw, thank you for your contribution, I have just found all three buildings while looking at Manila in Google Earth, they are indeed a grand scheme. I hope they prove to be popular attractions!
No worries, geomorph. It's my pleasure to share them. I love museums especially those about art and history. I can spend an entire day in a museum actually. Haha.

About the National Museum in the Philippines, I haven't been there in ages. Last time I was there was during a field trip when I was in elementary, so way back in the 80s! As far as I know, there are no entrance fees to the National Gallery and the Museum of Anthropology. Not sure with the newly-opened Museum of Natural History. I hope they do it like in New York's Met where you can pay whatever you want.

The National Museum of the Philippines is planning to add more buildings in the complex. I don't think it will be built in the same neo-classical style as the existing buildings. Not sure what to say about that yet, as there have been no renders yet. However, you can see the placeholders in their mock-up below

Based on the picture above, they are also planning to improve the rotunda as well. Rumour has it that it will be a common entrance space for all museums in the complex and that underground passageways will be built to connect all of them. I think it is a great idea. You know, being in the tropics, it gets really really hot and sticky in Manila so an underground and air-conditioned space to move around would be a welcome treat for visitors, both locals and tourists alike. If they are not building a common entrance space, I hope they still remove the statue that is currently there. It used to be a roller skating rink with a fountain in the middle but has been replaced with a statue that has nothing to do with the city of Manila.

From this (in the 70s)

To this (in the 2010s)

(NB: Manila really has to step up in cleaning itself. I mean just look at the smog).