View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Since when doesn't Ottawa or Vancouver have freeways? or a lack there of?
Feepa, Vancouver doesn't have any real notable "freeways" for a city its size. The most "freeway" feeling roads are Hwy 1, and the various bridges.

TSN - I think you're skipping over what most Calgary forumers are writing in defense of Calgary, and quickly thinking of it as boasting.

However, I do agree with your point about maintainability - and you'll find many Calgary forumers saying the same thing. There's been dozens (I don't think I'm exaggerating) of interchanges built here since I moved here 8 years ago - and they do typically have a 40-50 year life span. I do worry that it is somewhat short-vision planning, especially on roads that may not need it (McLeod may be one arguably).

Feepa - I think (without reading all the Winnipeg forumers posts from the beginning) the benefit of not having freeways is it helps to keep a city compact. Getting around quickly (as someone mentioned), also allows folks to move further, and further out. I'm sure there are a ton of other reasons as well in favour of not having them...