View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 4:39 PM

Just looked at the Exchange map above again... it has "MCCC Parkade" listed where the science centre (w/ parkade) is supposed to eventually go. Anyone know if the science centre component is being dropped now? That'd suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlemer View Post
Anyone else a little bummed that they're going to destroy the old public safety building? I know it is not that widely regarded for being very aesthetic, but it is a somewhat famous instance of the brutalist architecture style, which we don't have a lot of other examples of (are there any others in town?). I wonder if in 30 years people will be cursing us for demolishing it.
I am not at all. IMO, sure it's cool that it's an example of rare architecture – but it's completely falling apart and dangerous, and it's not accessible from the street, rendering it not a very good fit for the area. To me historic preservation is great, but not at the expense neighbourhood building, usefulness, etc.

It reminds me (in a roundabout way) of the brutal results of the Mitchell-Copp facade. It should have either been forced to be properly integrated into the building, or let it go. Now when you see it it literally looks like an "oh they made us do this" design. Looks ridiculous and isn't functional – the gates are closed most of the time and you have to enter the offices/Browns through the odd side door.