View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAandMagazine View Post
The Slave Ship Museum looks incredible! I guess this means we should really be thinking "tourist attraction" for the old power plant, which is adjacent, rather than retail for locals. How about a national jazz center in the old power plant? That place could hold a large auditorium as well as a massive museum.
Not to be a downer here, but there's no money in line for the Slave Ship Museum. The man behind it says once he gets approval for the location he is going to seek "private investors." I don't imagine that there are a lot of private investors lining up to fund this project. I imagine the city council will issue some sort of a proclamation supporting the project at the location so he can keep his dream alive, but I wouldn't expect any progress for a long time. I had big hopes for Riversphere at the same location and, despite much more impressive backing, nothing came of that project.

Has anyone had a chance to read through the GNO Water Plan (I hate how it's not downloadable, so I can't read it offline). Anything interesting in it?

Tennis, Regarding the extension of Howard Ave., I am also confused. It must presuppose demolition of the Post Office. But if I am reading the budgeting docs properly, only $1.5mm has been allocated to the project, which wouldn't even begin to cover property acquisition.