View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
I think the reason the Riders sell out most of their games, is due to Mosaic Stadium atmosphere. It is a fun time to go and watch football outside. I'm just afraid that if a dome stadium gets built, eventually people will lose interest. Sure it might be a novelty at first, but eventualy not a big deal. I remember when B.C. place apened, the lions games would sell out. Now it's a completely different story. The place is half empty.
I think it's the love of the game and the want to support one of Canada's most beloved CFL franchises. I hardly think thousands of people are paying $40-$70 per game just to sit in the "atmosphere" of a deteriorating stadium. I think the novelty of sitting in the blinding sun or freezing fall air will wear off far quicker than sitting in an incredible, comfortable new stadium.
I have been to a few Rider games, although I do not follow CFL football. So I can't say whether or not the Lions [supposed lack of] popularity is due to their lack of performance or otherwise. But I doubt it's because the fans have no desire to sit in a new stadium out of spite over the loss of their old stadium...