View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Yeah, having it run in front The Rim along 10 would be a mess also I don't think Thomas would want rail running across his development.

Keeping it on the UP rail to Military Hwy makes a lot more sense.
If you don't count the regular blasting that goes on in the active quarry the rail line would go to terminate at military. I think the terminus AJ has on his map is the most likely, as that point had been previously served by rail to camp stanley in years past and a lot of bullis' operations occur on that back part of the base. The terminus on military hwy still isnt on bullis yet- remember that there is 2 or 3 miles of non-bullis land between 1604 and bullis- with Eisenhower Park taking up part of that land. So either you'd have to go through the untouched land the quarry hasn't gotten to yet just to get to a point where you run the line on non-existent ROW through a pristine and beautiful (i'm sure full of the warbeler) city park and you are still outside the gates of bullis. Why would the military drop that cash to still not make it to their front door and have to ferry troops and materials by vehicle? Going around to the back of the post on the existing ROW where they can terminate on land they already have that already has some infrastructure to handle rail makes the most sense to me.

As for Thomas Ent/the Rim- Find me a developer on the planet who has a property that size who wouldn't want rail bringing all those potential passengers to their property. Notably the only one in the city that would be served by rail. Do you have any idea what they would do to tenant rents? Hell, I live across the street from the rim and I'm sure they'd jack up rents here, just to be able to say it was in walking distance to lightrail services. I wont even by the argument that Thomas wouldn't want it because the shoppers that might come from along the route aren't upscale enough. This is SA- I've met all 14 of the upscale people here and they shop at the same places the rest of us do. Plus, the Rim isn't what I'd actually call upscale. It has Old Navy, JCPenny's and a Micheal's craft's store for God's sake. Those are all over town. Hardly upscale.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.