View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2008, 5:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STERNyc View Post
Not to be a downer but other than the WTC
none of the projects NYGUY posted are going to get underway for at least another decade.
I wouldn't go that far, though the handful of WTC towers should be enough at the moment. There are
other developments I left out because we don't really have renderings, even preliminary (the railyards, hotel penn, etc.).

As far as these proposals go:

1. The WPC - developers say they have about 18 months to sign the amount of leases needed (about a third)
to start construction. Likely the first of the "four corners" towers. I look to 2010 for a start.

2. Manhattan West - Brookfield won't start anything without signing a tenant, but they could do that
in a relatively short amount of time. With no major office space under construction in Midtown, it won't
take a decade for a major space crunch to make these towers very attractive.

3. Sherwood's massive office tower is just one of two options for that site (the other being hotel).
One of the so called "four corners" towers, any one tower could jumpstart the others. They will likely
wait to see what movement happens on the other towers before making a decision.

4. The fantastic Tower Verre was planned for a 2009 start, but we'll see how the approval process along with financing
affects this one. A decade? I wouldn't be surprised if it were pushed back a year or two, but not a decade.

5. The Girasole - like the WPC is planned to rise above the new 34th Street subway station. Work progresses
on that station (see the Girasole thread) but I'm hoping a delay will lead to a redesign of this one, also one of the
"four corners" towers.

6. Tower 2 - A 2013 to 2014 completion.

7. Tower 3 - Blasting continues on site. A 2013 to 2014 completion.

8. Freedom Tower - A 2013 completion.

Not as bleak an outlook as you would think.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.