View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 1:42 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I was behind on some project designs at work, so I had to drive into downtown this Saturday to get a few steps ahead in anticipation of Monday.

Below is a list of projects that I've observed over the past few weeks, including today:

- Pizitz is progressing as you would expect. It's an old building that has been vacant for a while. Daily, during weekdays, I see many work-people restoring the facade of the building. This work has been going on for months, so we can all trust that the building will indeed be presented in its original grandeur.

- Thomas Jefferson Tower: I drive by and I see plenty of work, but I see no work on the facade of the tower. I think it is a shame. If they down restore the existing facade, I think it will be a major let down, and we'll still see a dirty tower (albeit with actual residents).

- Federal Reserve: Coming along very quickly and nicely!

- Booker T. Washington: OMG, if you have not at least taken a leisurely stroll or quick drive past this building you have missed out. The east-facing glass facade is mesmerizing. You would never recognize this building.

- Train and Bus Terminals: The bus terminal has taken shape much more quickly than the train station. Both look amazing. They both have very modern architectural appeal.

The train station, oh the train station... it is being built as a true train station in a major city. It is large and is NOTHING like the old, cramped, station that citizens have to deal with in the short term.

IMO, this train station will revolutionize how citizens in Birmingham travel between Atlanta (and points north) and New Orleans.

Along the Crescent line, that stretches from New York to New Orleans, I think you'd have to travel north to Washington before you found a better facility for train travel along the Crescent. This station exemplifies Birmingham's stature, and its relationship to rail traffic... it is HUGE!!!

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State