View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I was with you right up to "calgary is starting to get a soul...." calgary on what planet?
Its not Winnipeg in terms of culture and arts, thats for sure, but this is an obtuse statement. I think Bdog gives a nice run down of what "soul" Calgary has to offer. Its a different beast than the Peg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Calgary's great if you could draw a 2 km radius from the heart of downtown outward. The inner city is awesome (as I'm sure Roc would agree) - there are areas akin to River Heights, with tree canopies over the streets. There are ecclectic areas (Inglewood, Kensington) on par with the ones Winnipeg has to offer (e.g. Academy). 17th is great to hang out (and much longer than Corydon), and Stephen Ave is great during the summer. Prince's Island offers a great urban park in the heart of the city (although Eau Claire Market doesn't hold a candle to the Forks. And then the whole East Village area has seen an amazing turnaround over the past half-decade or so (and the momentum just keeps going). All that's connected by their very well maintained/continuous river front pathways and linear parks. However, once you get outside that awesome core, there isn't much (unless Lindenwoods, suburban strip malls, and big box power centres are your thing).
Pretty much

I'm mainly in Calgary for business, but it has a ton to offer as well. Its a different city than Winnipeg, so it can't be directly compared, but to deny it has any "soul" is misguided on that poster's end. Nice breakdown, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
You also have to be a millionaire to own a house anywhere within that 2 km radius.
haha...or drowning in debt..though the two could be one and the same