View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
I am not an expert on CandaInns/Tavern menus but I do know the menu changes fairly constantly. I need to attend meetings about once a month after work at their facilities and grab a quick bite there with my team between work and the meeting. An example of the menu changes is that at some point in roughly the last five years they had a delicious bison burger on the menu that is sadly gone. They have changed up the burgers a third time recently adding the trendy plant based option.

In terms of the design of the space, say what you want about your personal feelings on it but that they took what was a one off project and have basically been copying the design across all their sites suggests it is working fairly well at bringing in a consistent stream of revenue for them.
They do minor quarterly changes and it is 90% based on changes of their suppliers – I know, I used to work there. This is why there is no Bison burger anymore. They like to use as few suppliers as possible, so if their meat suppliers stopped having Bison, they won't go looking for it somewhere else.

When I was there we switched chicken suppliers – and it was disgusting. The new chicken for nachos and quesadillas was pre-cooked and revolting, so rubbery. After 2 months there was so many complaints they had to switch back.

In terms of the locations – it wasn't ever intended to be a one-off, they opened 4 at around the same time. Downtown, Garden City, Brandon, Grand Forks were all purpose-built as Taverns. Then, when their megaclubs were failing, they converted some of them to Taverns to try and generate revenue on weekdays. I'm sure they're doing a bit better than the clubs, but probably not by much. What some have going for them is there's often not many other places around them to catch a game, which is why downtown is so dead – it's by far the worst of many places to go.