View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarsProject View Post
Good Day. I was asked to comment about last Fridays banquet involving many downtown businesses and I was wanting to leave a thread for others to discuss regarding the #1 concern that many believe will continue to keep downtown Winnipeg from growing.

And that is the issue of immigrants/refugees and how it equates to the destruction and current state of Portage Place and businesses around Portage Avenue.

It seems that downtown Winnipeg West-side Portage-Ellice to Salter-Sargeant has become a haven for new Canadians with Government subsidized housing.

Walking downtown Winnipeg during hours outside of rush hour and lunch time there can be approx 100-200 visible minorities not including the Natives.

When the issue for economic growth and to stabilize the current stream of economic wealth that has been in the works for the last 15 years there is a serious concern for local businesses that people will not continue to shop/dine/visit downtown because of the undesirable welcoming for Winnipegers.

A poll done by the agency with the results released last week. Surprising the homeless-pandhandlers was not the #1 reason why people will not visit downtown or live downtown.

It is the visible minorities that they believe make downtown undesirable.
Parking comes in at #2.

Walking in Portage Place, City Place is night and day from it was 15 yrs ago and even during game and concern nights presently.

If businesses do not want to invest in downtown this can be a major downfall for large developments such as True North Square and more importantly future projects.

What can be done? What will be done?

And that will be the discussion for downtown business agencies beginning in the summer 2017.
if this is true, and I have no reason to believe it isn't, then it is a bit disturbing to me. I do a fair bit of volunteer work with those folks and, for the most part, they are just good people looking to make a life in Canada. I know some who had jobs within days of arriving in Canada with barely a word of English. personally I think they add to public safety and animate the area. I love going by central park up there and watching the activity. not saying there are no problems, of course there are..