View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Who is using it as justification? Someone asked me who would be using this facility and I provided a list. But now that you've brought it up, would it not be a good thing for CIS athletics (ie the Vanier Cup) to be held in an indoor facility when most games in Sk are held in very cold temperatures? With a controlled climate would also bring along many more fans to these games, that is a pretty solid fact.

Same could be said for various hockey games taking place at the MTS Centre, Saddledome, Rexall PLace, etc or any other venue that hosts events with lower attendances. Is there outrage in Winnipeg when someone other than the Manitoba Moose use the MTS Centre?

You are wrong. Since covered stadiums began being built, more GreyCups were held in cities that have these facilities than any other location. Now lets use the '07 GreyCup in Toronto for an example, that event brought in over $50million dollars of economic activity to that area. Now lets predict that over a 60-70 year lifetime of the new facility, we host 10-12 GreyCups. Do the math just for this type of event.
Weird I remember freezing my ass off at a Rollings Stones concert in October a couple years ago. Its true there aren't as many stadium tours, but there are already some that have avoided this area because of lack of facilities (ie Jayz/Eminen, U2, Paul Mccartney, Springsteen, etc)

Once again, we do not need a large arena, why do you continue to advocate us spending over a hundred million dollars for an arena that won't be used for hockey? Skydome in Toronto was used several times for arena concerts before the ACC was built, what makes you think that can't happen here?

With the new facility the Vanier Cup would be held in Regina alot more often than that, case in point the amount of times its been held in the 'covered' Skydome. And its too bad that you aren't more positive in thinking in that a new climate controlled facility in the heartland of football won't draw more than 20K people. Think positive my friend, all this negativity is gutwrenching.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2010/05/20/ufc_canada/

With a covered facility Regina could play host to many international events, like international soccer, track and field events, etc. Once again, these are only events that can take place in the facility once it is built.

Dunno, why do covered stadiums (ie BC PLace, Skydome, UofArizona, Fargodome, etc) all over the world hold tradeshows?
I wonder if the Grey Cup being held in domed stadiums more often has anything to do with: Being in the 3 biggest cities; being 3 of the newest stadiums; being 3 of the biggest capacity stadiums, etc...

$50 Million of economic spinoffs from a Grey Cup in Regina? Interesting, but I don't see how they spinoffs would be any less for an outdoor stadium - Visitors will still be staying in hotels, buying food and alchohol, etc...

Your idea of why concerts pass over Regina are over-exaggerated. You think that those huge concerts you mention don't come because there is no facility? U2 doesn't play every 200,000 person city; neither does Springsteen, etc. It's about the market too. It's hilarious that you think that if this gets built, conerts that pass over even Edmonton and Calgary will suddenly be lining up to play in Regina! By the way, the Jay-Z and Eminem concert (which I was lucky enough to see) only played in Detroit and New York (ie: Regina having no indoor stadium had nothing to do with you guys getting passed over...)

The article about UFC has nothing to do with Saskatchewan...

As for your constant camparisons to Skydome (which has many problems in its own right), you realize that it was built primarily for a pro baseball team, in a city (metro) +25 times the size of Regina? 81 home games for baseball, plus 10 Argos games, plus being the biggest market in the country, I don't know if they can be compared...

Let's hope your not building a track for that facility, as it would take football fans (primary users of the facility) much further from the field...