View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 11, 2006, 2:10 PM
Home of Hyperchange

So what's the deal with that, anyway? Rumors of some project to re-do that part of Main?

I always thought it was sad that practically no one in Winnipeg knew about the Upper Fort Garry gate. Everyone goes to Lower Fort Garry on a field trip, but the city fort just gets ignored. Was a nice place to walk to and eat lunch when I worked in that area, but it was such a tiny little park for such an important part of Winnipeg's history. Sure, the Forks covers that somewhat, but the Forks is mostly just a big commercial entitiy. Not exactly museum-quality, which is what they should do with the gate. Build a nice big interpretive park, and try to figure out a way to keep the "locals" from sleeping in there. It's been a while, but there used to be a lot of people "sleeping" (ie: passed out) in parks around that area and south of Assiniboine Ave.

Is the gate currently located at its actual original position? I seem to recall that it had been moved there from somewhere close by, but it's been at least 10 years since I've read the plaques and I may be remembering wrong. Would be cool if they could put it at the exact (or as close as we know) position that it was historically.