View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 12, 2014, 12:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
I went to check it out yesterday and I was very impressed, even better in real life than the pics. It was really awesome because from the hub itself you can actually SEE the various platforms and trains (namely the 4 and 5). It gave a very great feeling of openness and seamlessness and at the same time modern and definitely feels futuristic with the gigantic LCD screens! Wonder when the retail will move in?
They're still in the leasing phase, but sometime next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Great tour NYGuy - thanks! Look forward to seeing the place for myself.
It's worth it. I think of it as Downtown's version of the Guggenheim with a touch of Grand Central - for the modern age. There will come a day soon when you could spend an afternoon or a day visiting the Fulton Center and PATH hall, taking in two future iconic locations in lower Manhattan, and they're neighbors, linked by an underground passageway (further linkage takes you all the way to Brookfield Place and the Hudson).

I've really got to get an extensive look at the place.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...king-NY.543716

Space-age train hub linking NY
Terminus merges century-old stations with latest technology and design

November 12, 2014

Quote:
New York’s biggest underground terminus has opened in lower Manhattan – a vital link between the new World Trade Centre and the rest of the city.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority inaugurated the $1.4 billion Fulton Centre, a space-age complex where nine tube lines converge.

“Welcome to the station of the 21st century,” said engineer Michael Horodniceanu, who led the project as president of the MTA’s Capital Construction.

The hub, which merges century-old stations with the latest digital technology and design, will open to the public this morning, when hundreds of thousands will enter what officials called Lower Manhattan’s “next great public space”.
Its soaring street-level atrium is encased in a glass-and-steel shell, with luminous interior panels leading to a skylight designers call the ‘oculus’ –Latin for eye.

Livening up the climate-controlled, energy-saving spaces are various avant-garde artworks.

.....The old stations that were refurbished and linked were used by more than 80 per cent of the workers commuting to Lower Manhattan.

A 106-metre tunnel links the Fulton Centre to the World Trade Centre’s Santiago Calatrava-designed transport facility being built and the PATH commuter train to New Jersey. That tunnel will open some time next year.

The Fulton project includes the restoration of an early high-rise – the 125-year-old Corbin Building with a sumptuous, nine-storey tower. Its original stone foundation is exposed over a set of Fulton escalators.

The historic building in the new setting brings the neighbourhood full circle to the 19th century “when this was the centre of New York City”, said engineer Horodniceanu.

Not posting all 13, but...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jonpremosch/...subway-station

13 Amazing Photos Of NYC’s Futuristic New Subway Station

Monday marked the first full rush hour for the station, and hundreds of thousands of subway riders were stunned by the glass tower, which brings light two stories down:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.