View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Most recent Asian newcomers are skilled immigrants who come via H-1B visas and the like. They tend to be doctors and engineers in McMansions.

NYC and California are really the only places with mass Asian migration, from all income cohorts. I'm not sure it's accurate to say NY (and LA and SF) are "poorer" Asian populations, but rather that they get the same H-1B visa crowd plus a lot of family migration.

Also, Asian immigrants to U.S. are typically Chinese or Indian. NYC has a lot of Asian immigrants from really poor countries. Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and the like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Chinese New Yorkers seem to be mostly working class/non-professional. The ethnoburbs are mostly Indian American.

But the NYC area has a sizeable South Asian working class too - it's probably the only metro in the US where the South Asian population is not dominated by affluent Indian professionals.
But why is the difference so much bigger in NYC? If everywhere stateside has the professional (educated) waves of immigration, plus working class, why does NYC have the working class in higher proportion?

If it was family migration, why wouldn't California have more than its fair share of working class (not just H-1B visa crowd) since California has a longer history of Asian immigrants and thus (potentially) more families to bring through family re-unification. And if so, why hasn't family reunification outweighed educated workers in lots of cities like LA, Chicago etc. Are Asian New Yorkers that much more family-oriented that they bring so much more families over from overseas than Chicagoans, people from LA, San Francisco, etc. I know NYC is bigger than the rest, but why would it make a difference in income/socio-economic status per capita in terms of family reunification, unless NY'ers are more likely to bring less well-off/less educated family members from overseas than other cities.

I'm wondering if it has to do with lots of Asian immigrants in service/restaurant industries in NYC, and lots of "mom and pop" family business there?