View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 21, 2007, 7:23 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Just a few things…

Second, The Domain (Endeavor Real Estate Group's portion) will have over 3 million SF of office space when completely built-out (by 2017). In addition to the office space, the overall plan is to include 300+ hotel rooms, 3,000-4,000 residential units, a 7,000 seat amphitheatre, 1.6 million SF of retail, and a 10+ acre park. Again, this does not include the Domain Crossing (which is solely a Simon Property Group development). Plus, the office space being constructed across from Macy’s (in Building H) is actually 75,000 SF – not 175,000 SF.

Obviously, there will be further developments and redevelopments in the Gateway/N. Burnet neighborhood in the coming couple of decades. By roughly 2030, the City of Austin and the Gateway/N. Burnet neighborhood residents and business owners are envisioning the 2,243-acre (3.5 sq. mi) planning area to be one of high-density, mixed-use developments which will include as many as 82,000 residents (or 24,429 people/sq. mi.); 41,000 apartment, condo and town home units (0 single-family homes); and in excess of 51,500 jobs. Thus, the Arboretum will eventually feel the hurt as the center of commerce moves to its north and east… I wouldn’t be surprised if Simon, in the very near future, decides to sell their stake in the Arboretum. Its value will never be higher than it is today and as the Gateway/N. Burnet area develops, its sells price may reflect this new shift. The glory days of the once great Arboretum are pretty much over…
You're right... I may have mixed up the sq-footage of this office building with the one proposed along Burnet Rd (which is in the 175k neighborhood). Transwestern lists the building at 125k sqft, which I take to include the 1st floor shops, and approx 90k of offices. I also understand that a local/regional law firm has leased a good chunk of that.
http://austin.transwestern.net/pdfassets/pdf_374.pdf

As for Simon... I was probably thinking of Domain Crossing with their stake in ownership. Thats a shame about The Arboretum. The setting is second to none, but competing for high-end tenants will be a challenge I'm sure. The nearby Gateway center had plans several years back of expanding, reconfiguring and adding more upscale/lifestyle retailers (Crate & Barrell, etc). I'm guessing much of that is out the window? This was perhaps prior to Simon purchasing the property. How do you see The Arboretum evolving over time?... re-tenanting with less upscale retailers or different uses altogether? Just curious... I guess there are a lot of variables that could play out.