View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 11:20 PM

This isn't about an aboriginal developmental arm. This is about the prospects of a potential 'urban reserve' on the site. Call it whatever anyone wants to, but I'd bet my last dime that at least 80% of the residents in the area would be diametrically opposed to the idea of an urban reserve at that particular site. This is - rightly or wrongly - because reserves are associated with crime, poverty and deep seeded social problems. Quite frankly, by surveying reserves in this province, it's hard to argue against that perception. The statistics don't argue either.

This is the highest income neighbourhood in our city (and province). It is not the type of location you run a social experiment in. Call it elitist, call it what anyone will. There is a reason wealthy people live where they do. They don't want uncertainties. They want certainties. They like to feel insulated. Maybe it's strange, but it's also a great portion of the tax base. The beautiful thing with money, is if you have it, it's good anywhere. Upset the entire neighbourhood and good numbers would likely jump ship - to a different city, in a different province. The job skills of the people living in Tuxedo and River Heights are likely highly transferable. Lets not prod them.

I'm not opposed to aboriginal development. I'm not even opposed to urban reserves. I think one could work in Winnipeg, and work well. However, that location is not and will never be on the Tuxedo fringe.

We need development that is available to all people at that site.

For those on here who thought NIMBY's in Osborne Village were bad regarding a deteriorating house and some trees, just wait. This could be NIMBY armageddon.