View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 4:26 PM

Kenchiku desu

The old building isn't hurting anything and adds to the fabric of the place. I agree, without those junkers interspersed, we would have sterility.

801 S. Olive curtainwall is a bit too dark -- but elegantly detailed -- as would be expected from the firm that designed it, SCB. Nice job!

I agree with you about the idea of enriching the urban fabric. Southpark was for the most part historically lowrise and functioned to serve warehousing needs, with a few taller buildings punctuating major intersections. Thankfully, many of those buildings still exist, especially the node of buildings around 11th and Broadway which will serve as the activity endpoint of south Broadway. Actually, if you look at historic photos there was another 12 to 13 storied building just south of the Hearst building which was razed for part the Occidental center (see how old I am--I still remember the sign atop the tower).
Thankfully, much of downtown does have interesting "fabric fillers" that are surrounded by soon to be developed parking lots. But the two storied SRO is not historically or architecturally significant and without sounding like a snob, how could Onni possibly hope to sell or rent such high end units with an SRO next door. I think that this building will come down at some point or be turned into creative space. Incidentally, someone mentioned warehouses as being subject to replacement. Yes, in time their economic lifespan will be ended, but in the meantime there are some very charming ones which line a few blocks along Flower and Hope between Pico and the 10 fwy. Between now and their ultimate end they would make for interesting infill, with uses such as shops, small offices, etc. But, as I say, once the parking lots have been filled these too will one day come down