View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I'm not against development at all. I'm saying gentrification for the sake of gentrification isn't the answer. It implies replacing the people that are aleady there instead of improving the area around them. Obviously the Bronx could use more development and better housing opportunities. But New York City doesn't need to be "sanitized" completely with a brush. There are different neighborhoods with different vibes, and that's a part of what has always made the city great.
I agree. I think what he's referring too if I'm reading between the lines is the reduction in crime that gentrification brings, but its merely displacing the problem, not fixing it.

But yes, I'm a big advocate of the city being affordable for all. I'm somewhat against the gated community mentality. For example, I do not like whats going on in DoBro. The rise in prices, it makes the neighborhood and its proxies inaccessible for the masses, which sucks. But, I guess its a topic for another thread.

With Amazons move, I hope it kick starts some of the waterfront projects in the pipeline like Astoria Cove.

Also some of the mega developments along the S.Bronx. I think that node can serve as a good location for future EE's.

Maybe the city will consider expanding ferry routes to that area.