View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 4:13 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

unhappy Winnipegger

I joined this thread mostly because It bothers me to live in a north american city of 750, 000 people that has a major Ring Road (trans - canada highway) that is not a freeway, when other smaller cities like Regina and Halifax would have it as a freeway.

Yes, I know this has been talked about before, http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=137983&page=2 but it seems that the message got lost in trying to explain whether road or lrt is better at promoting sprawl.. in calgary???.. and not why winnipeg really doesnt have any freeways.. is it really because the province of manitoba and the city of winnipeg choose not to spend money on upgrading highways?/ for other reasons unknown, possibly everyone else on this continent sees freeways as a necessity whereas manitoba does not?

Does anyone know of any links that can compare the amount of cars on certain roadways in winnipeg, particularly between roads in and around winnipeg to freeways like the deerfoot or circumferential hwy?

BTW, when a city is designed the way Winnipeg is, being a "freeway free city " is not something to be proud of...

I also joined because I think Winnipeg could be so much more, I know Winnipeg has made some improvements recently in terms of downtown residential populations, but I think more needs to be done to encourage this, then I believe more businesses that bring people downtown will grow (businesses like restaurants for example, that seem to flourish in places like pembina highway in Fort Richmond, when they could instead be flourishing downtown)

Last edited by UrbanPlannerr; Aug 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM.