View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 6:22 PM

In addition to my (poor) definition above, I would say that Winnipeg's historic skyscrapers were those that were built in the 1900-1914 era. There are/were two types of high-rise buildings at the time, the skyscrapers and the "complimentary" high-rise buildings.

I would say that the skyscrapers were those buildings hovering around the 150 foot mark, Childs Building, National Bank Building, Union Bank Building, Confederation Building, Electric Railway Chambers and Lindsay Building. The Paris Building and Hamilton Building followed these buildings and marked the end of Winnipeg's early skyscraper boom era. All of these buildings are 140 feet to 160 feet in height.

The "complimentary" high-rises would've been those hovering around the 120 foot mark, Sterling Building, Boyd Building, Marlborough Hotel, Eaton's Store, Somerset Building, Watkins Building and Grain Exchange Building. All of these buildings are 110 feet to 130 feet in height.

"Monumental" structures like the Legislature and St. Boniface Cathedral are their own grouping, same with the Hotel Fort Garry and Cityplace. All of these structures range from about 150 feet to 250 feet in height.