View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 4:42 PM
BANNED

"The Petronas Towers have an obvious design reference, with the exception of having round floorplates as opposed to square ones."-Wikipedia article on Miglin Beitler Skyneedle.

I'm surprised that Wikipedia would say such a thing since the main thing that separates Petronas from other supertalls is it's cylindrical shape. I guess because Pelli designed both, the writer of that blurb on wikipedia just decided they must look the same......but they don't. In fact about the only architectural feature they share is the spire on top. Miglin-Beitler was much more like the Empire State Building than it is Petronas. The Miglin-Beitler Skyneedle also showed what a great architect Pelli is due to to how different his designs are. Cesar Pelli is everything Frank Gehry should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarMike View Post
I think one day, both this and the Illinois will be built. You gotta remember that Chicago lost alot of people between the 50s and 80s because of suburban and southern migration. Now Chicago is recovering, and as a major Architectual center of the world, it still has alot to offer but as for now, man, it looks really awesome.
This is another ridiculous comment. The reason the Illinois was never built had little to do with mass exodus from the city and much more to do with the difficulties in trying to finance such a huge project. Do you think it's a coincidence that the Chicago Spire (which is a way less ambitious project than the Illinois) went tits up at the same time the recession hit? I don't think so. Not only that but if such an exodus occurred, how is it that Chicago has built numerous supertalls since the Illinois was proposed? I think you have Chicago mixed up with cities like Detroit and St. Louis.

Last edited by Phil McAvity; Nov 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM.