View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
I have to agree with you on this one coffee break, I thought this would have been great to have a condo on top of this retail. I can't believe that they wouldn't allow because the parking would have infringed some space beneath the sidewalk. Another opportunity goes away. I remember when the majority of Kingsway in Burnaby/Vancouver was one story retail. Take a look at it now an try and find retail without condos on top.
The 5 storey condo on top of 2 storeys of retail was abandoned very early on in the conceptual phase, well before they released the renderings of the two storey structure with the massive windows and elaborate stone work.

Council did actually approve the parkade extending below the sidewalk. However, it never ended up happening because when the costs to build the parkade came in, it was not economically feasible to do so. Hence, we are left with a single storey structure with no parkade.

I believe had the lot been larger, or they managed to also tear down the neighboring building, a larger structure would likely have been feasible.